Sunday, January 29, 2012

Living in IN and commuting and working in Chicago... what is it like?

I have my second round of interviews coming up with a company in Chicago. I live in Merrillville, IN which is considered part of the greater Chicagoland region. If I get the job, I plan to probably take the South Shore to Millenium Station, and then the #20 (Madison, I think) bus over to where I work. I was looking into the CTA trains, but there aren't any stops close to where I would be (near corner of W. Washinton Blvd. and N. Sangamon St.). Is this area considered the Loop? Or the west loop? I'm still learning more about the regions. What is crime like? Cost? What is it like commuting daily to Chicago? I've ridden the South Shore before, but only in the afternoon and evening. I've heard it can be very busy during rush hours. How is the bus system? Tips, suggestions, encouragements? I'm pretty excited. I find Chicago a bit intimidating but I really like the city and the few times I've been there over the past few years have been good. Plus, you can't beat Gino's East or Giordano's!Living in IN and commuting and working in Chicago... what is it like?
I have never done it myself, but my co-worker passed up a job in chicago and he lives in merriville. He told me about his caculations and that it was not worth it for him to do. Yes, the money is great, but how much do you value your time not getting paid just to get to your job?

I'd say that the commute will easily add at least an hour each way for you. that makes an 8hour work day 10...



The south shore is very busy during the 5 and 6 o'clock hours in the evening leaving chicago. I've gone to numerous cubs games and leaving Millenium station, the trains were always quite full.



Is it feasible $ wise? what is it going to cost you for 5 round trip train rides and 5 round trip bus rides a week? what is the pay increase going to be over that which you will get closer to home?



I am going to be looking into a job in chicago in the future, but the pay will have to be outstanding for me to commute and out of this world for me to move to the surrburbs of chicago.



Good luck with whatever you decide

No comments:

Post a Comment